Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Fridays

So, there is kind of an unspoken assumption in ministry. At least this is something I've experienced while serving in Tennessee. It goes like this: Smaller Churches have fewer students therefore there is less work for student pastors to do. Now, anyone who has been around the church for a while will know this just isn't true. I've experienced the exact opposite actually. Larger churches are blessed with the ability to hire interns and a more extensive staff. It isn't uncommon for a larger church to have up to 10 people on a student ministry staff alone. It isn't like that serving in a smaller context and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Yes, that means that I am involved in every single aspect of our ministry but I honestly love it. I see it as an opportunity to learn and and grow.

This brings me to Fridays. Many pastors take Fridays off because Sunday is considered a work day. I  encourage all student ministers who have this opportunity to do it but sometimes it isn't so easy in a small church is it? When we are blessed to be responsible for the entire ministry there are some weeks when Friday rolls around and there is still work to be done. Take heart! Don't be discouraged during these weeks. It is so easy to get overwhelmed with it all. But I find if I remind myself of my calling it makes those Fridays easier. God is allowing me to be a part of His work in the church! Wow, what a blessing that is.

But this Friday has been a little different itself. This Friday I have had the privilege to serve in my calling in a way that goes above and beyond working in my office at church. I have had the amazing opportunity to serve and take care of my wife Emilee. She just happens to be out of school today. (she's a kindergarten teacher) And she also so happens to be sick. The being sick part is a bummer. But it has set the scene for spending the entire day with her and that is something I love more than anything else. Yes, I do have things to do at the office. Lots of them actually. But, as married pastors our first ministry is to our family. Our families come before the church. Now I've only been doing this married and full time ministry thing for a little over a year but I have learned this: Giving my wife more time than the church makes it easier for us to serve together. Because being a student pastor is, at times, demanding. But when she is at my side serving with me it makes it that much more fulfilling.

What about you? What do your Fridays look like? Do you find it hard balancing time between your family and ministry? I pray that today you will take time to serve your family and to thank God for calling you to work in His church. Even when your weekend is just Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment