Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Friday is for Blogging

To answer your first question: Yes, I do know that I'm posting this on a Thursday. I try to post at least once a week and it usually gets pushed back to Friday though because my weeks get so busy.

I've been thinking about why my weeks are so busy. Yes, I do have a full time job and am a full time student at the same time. But really, what fills my time in the office? This post is more of a confession. I, like many of you, love to read blogs. I love to find out the next best tip for making your ministry more kingdom focused. Specifically this week I've been researching blog posts about the pros and cons of Super Bowl parties in student ministry. Blogs are helpful, insightful, and a lot of the time a great way to spend my time.

But I've been wandering this week if it's the BEST use of my time. For the past 2 years we have taken our students to a winter retreat in the East TN mountains over New Years. This year one of the speakers made a point that not only spoke to our students but also resonated with me. This is what he said: "There is no substitute for spending time with Jesus." Read that again: "There is no substitute for spending time with Jesus." This phrase really convicted me. I spend time reading the word of God and in prayer everyday. I make it a point to. And then as soon as I say "amen" I'm scouring the web to read all of the important blogs. I check them several times throughout the day to make sure I don't miss a new post.

If I were honest, I would have to say that more days than not I spend more time with blogs than with Jesus. This breaks my heart. While blogs are good they are certainly no substitute for time spent with my Savior. This post isn't trying to deter you from ever reading a blog again. If that were so then it would have to be my last post. But it I hope it will challenge you. Do you, like me, have days where you spend more time reading the hottest ministry blogs than you do spending time with Christ? If so, I encourage you to make that phrase a theme in your life this year. Paul knew what he was talking about in Philippians 4 when he said "Don't worry about anything, instead, pray about everything." Dedicate your life to following Christ completely and He will make sure everything else falls in to place. Even your ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment