Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Transitions...

Transitions can sometimes be good. Like a couple of months ago when I transitioned into a new vehicle because the previous one was costing way too much in gas each month. They can sometimes be difficult as well. Like when I transitioned back into another semester of balancing a full time seminary course load with my full time ministry back in in August. And then there are those transitions that are right in the middle. The kind of changes that you know are good but at the same time are difficult to handle. This post is about one of those transitions.

Our pastor has sensed God's call to lead another church and will be moving into that position in the coming month. So, here I find myself in the midst of a transition. And it's one of those transitions that are bittersweet. My wife and I will miss his family. I will always treasure the months and years I had to serve alongside of him as well as all of the wisdom that he has given to me. I've learned a lot over these past 2 1/2 years and I am grateful each and every day that I have been able to serve the wonderful people at Springhill with him. And at the same time, I am still excited about ministry. I'm looking forward to what God has in store for our church in the coming days. I know God is at work in this and that He has awesome plans for Springhill baptist as we deal with this. This transition is bittersweet.

We've been here before. Emilee and I served as the only staff members at our previous church while they were also in transition. We learned some things during that time and hopefully we will learn some things through this process as well. Maybe you're in this same spot. Maybe you are part of a church that is in transition. Well I haven't been in ministry for a super long time but I do know the emotions and fears that come along with this. This next list are just a few things that we have figured out to be helpful during times like these. Please pray for us as we navigate these waters.

1. Pray for your church
Some of your people are hurting, some are confused, but all are worried. There will be fears that the next leader won't be as good. Pray that God might reveal Himself to your church in a big way. Pray that they will be more committed to His plan than anything else.

2.Pray for your future pastor
Pray that he is aware that God is arranging things for him to come serve. Pray that he is excited about what God is doing in his life and that he is committed to serve God with all he has once he is on the ground.

3. Let your people know that you Love them
Take every opportunity you have to tell your church how much you care for them. Don't overkill yourself, but let them know that you are committed to doing whatever has to be done in order for things to keep running smoothly. Stay committed to where God has called you.

The coming months are likely to be difficult for us. Pray that Emilee and I will be able to do all of the things above with ease. And if you have any suggestion, please, comment and encourage us. God is sovereign, God is good, and we are His people. I am confident that He will work anything that happens in this situation for our good and for His glory.

2 comments:

  1. Josh I know that you'll do a great job and will be praying for you, Emily, and the Springhill family during this time of transition. Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete