Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Bold In The Small Things



This past week I began reading in the book of Daniel during my daily devotion time. I try to swap back and forth between Old and New Testament books of the bible. My Sunday school class has been studying in Daniel for a few weeks and I wanted to get a more in-depth picture of it. When God spoke to me while reading Daniel Chapter 3, I was amazed.

I have heard the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego many times. I remember hearing this story as a kid in church and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the Veggie Tales version of it a few times as well.  Honestly, when I sat down to read Daniel 3, I was expecting to hear a familiar story and be reminded of familiar themes. But God had a different plan. God wanted me to see it with fresh eyes and in a new way.

After reading the chapter, I realized that believers in my culture are not threatened with a furnace. We get to openly worship and pray to our God day in and day out.  I won’t deny that there are some public restrictions to our expression of faith but overall, we get to worship freely and openly. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego did not have this luxury. They were literally being persecuted because of their commitment to the one true God.

You see, its easy for us to make a stand for Christ in public. Unlike these 3 men, our lives are not threatened because of our beliefs. We can boldly tell the world who we worship and how amazing it is to know Him. But what about in the small things? What about when no one is looking? Do we make a stand then? Are we just as keen to stand on our beliefs when no one has any idea what is going on? Its in these moments that we are threatened. Our pleasure is threatened. Our ability to be in control is threatened and its in these moments where being bold is difficult.


You know the moments I’m talking about. It’s when you’re typing the latest piece of gossip into a text message to your friends. It’s when you’re deciding what movies to rent, what songs to buy, and what websites to visit. Sometimes its as simple as deciding between more sleep and spending time with our Lord. It’s in these moments where we are truly tested. It’s these situations that call for us to be bold. And when we are bold, there will be no applause. No one will see or write a story about it. But we can be sure of one thing; we are bringing honor and glory to Jesus. We are letting Him know that His sacrifice means something to us and we are committed to following Him even when no one is looking.  Ask God for the strength to be bold today, even in the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment